Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 7

Oh how I hate CIS. I mean, this is better than 1200... I'm in 2010. But it's still a pain. And you know what else is a pain? The testing center in the Smith Computer Center. Do you know how ancient those computers are? Here is what I was so upset about the other day -->

I'm a busy girl. Really busy. I work 30 hours a week and probably 30 hours a week on photography, depending on the week. I probably spend 15 hours a week on school, 3 hours on donating plasma, 8 hours (or so) sleeping each night. 3 hours on Sunday for church. That's about 34 hours left in my week that I spend grocery shopping, cleaning, being sick, seeing family, spending time with Carson and friends (sometimes I don't even get to that) and relaxing comes last. If for some reason I have a test or something extra in the mix (which usually happens) my schedule can get tight depending on the day. I had to take a test for CIS and I gave myself about an hour to go to the lab and take it.

I get there.. and the lady working is.. kind of haggish. I don't know. Maybe it was close to closing time (which is 8 pm... seemingly quite early for a college testing center to close) or maybe she was having a bad day, but she was not nice. After I gather the materials to take my test, I choose a computer to test at and turn it on. I swear these computers are back from 1995. No joke. It literally takes 10 minutes for it to boot up, me to log in, and for it to stop doing all of the things it needs to do when it gets to the home screen (you know, check for viruses and crap because it's a PC). 10 minutes! Do you realize that my Mac takes... mm.. 30 seconds? Even that, it might be faster. 10 minutes. Which brought my testing time down to 50 minutes. Great. I had to go and rename the flash drive under my name that they gave me because that is where I was to store my files to submit to them. I clicked on "my computer" to find the flash drive, and it took like 10 seconds of the computer "thinking" before it executed each button click I did. Do you realize how many button clicks I was to do in my test?

I opened up the program I was to work on my files (Access) and it kept saying "not responding" and I had only clicked on it once. I figured I chose a crappy computer, logged off, and tried another one.

Same thing.

Same gosh dang thing.

That's when I lost it.

I went up to the haggish lady, told her that I wasn't aware that all the computers were going to take me a year to take my test, and that I would have to come back the next day and take time off work to take my test, because I wouldn't be able to finish in time due to their inconvenient closing time. She was a bit nicer, after seeing my slightly upset. I didn't feel bad though. I had had a long day and this was infuriating that my education was a freaking joke.

A joke I tell you.

Did I mention that Dixie State wants to be a University in a couple years?

Well Dixie, you have a LONG way to go before you become a university.

I was quite upset the rest of the night and seriously contemplated on writing someone about this. It's just really interesting that they can't get nicer computers, at least for the testing center? And speaking of the testing center, (not the smith computer testing center, the main one) how long did it take them to FINALLY move to a bigger building? We were stuck in this cracker jack box for the LONGEST time before they moved over to the old Harmons on 100 south. My high-school felt more professional than that whole college.

And usually, I wouldn't be this bitter. But for me being a busy girl, I don't have 20 minutes to waste trying to get my computer to work and start my test.

Funny how in the HAZY building, they have the nicest iMacs in there, as well as PCS (that are at least decent) but they can't spare it in the budget to make things nicer in the testing places? Where we are under time limits or our own personal deadlines that we have to get it all done?

Dixie is a joke. It's a joke.

On to better items. Sorry for you facebook people reading all this trying to find where I wanted you to read and state your opinion. It's right here.

Since getting married and my last name changing, I have to change a lot of things over to the new name. Renewing licenses, social security card, loans, school, banks, etc. It sucks.

But! With me now having a last name I know I'll have forever, it makes things more concrete and solid. Stable.

With this being related to my photography, I have considered changing my name. Here's a couple things on that though:

1. I would just use my name, Jostlyn Stilson Photography... but it's kind of a mouthful don't you think? I don't have a name that flows as nicely as I'd like.

2. I would just use my first name Jostlyn Photography... but there are 2 other Jocelyn's in town that are photographers as well and I want to be set apart somehow (even though the spellings are different).

3. I would just use my last name, Stilson Photography... but that name is taken on facebook already (no relation).

I want to incorporate my name somehow.. so that people can connect with it better. It's not my style to be called something along the lines of "Forever the greatest moments I caught on camera of your life photography" and I don't want to go with something trendy or ordinary.

The name Roz has a special meaning to me, but I feel that I have outgrown it in a way. It's not my name, which confuses people at first, and... I don't know. I'm just on the fence.

It would really suck to make a new facebook page, telling all my fans to convert over (and let's face it, people are lazy and some won't even realize what's happening). I would still keep that page active, leaving a note saying where I moved to, and I think that would help... but still. It's a hassle. And I've worked so hard to get my name out there and have people look at my stuff. But let's face it, I'm not super well known yet and this could be my chance to make the change before Roz becomes permanent.

And even if I somewhat am established in St. George as Roz, Carson and I won't be living here forever and my goals for photography will be much bigger than a local thing.

But I have to make a choice now before I change my name on everything.

So I thought about this:

j.stilson photography

a cute little lowercase j. with a dot and then my last name.

or do I keep Roz?

It's a huge internal struggle I have going. Pros and Cons are pretty much the same and eventually I will make a decision on whats best for me. But what are your thoughts?

Here's my pic of the day.


Who did I see today? - Carson, people tanning, my mom, maggie, millie, kent, carl, dominos pizza guy...
What am I grateful for today? - my 8 gigs of ram

What am I glad I did today?- edited the lovely Tresa
What do I wish I had done today? -edited more... ate healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment